Time to insulate! I’m using various thickness of PolyIso foam board to insulate the van. The sheets are backed with reflective foil on both sides. It’s glued in place using urethane spray foam. It’s important to use “doors and windows” formula as it does not expand quite as much and protects from bending the outer skins of the van as it cures. I sprayed some stripes on the back of each section, then held it in place with some expandable poles that I use for holding plastic up to the ceiling during home remodeling. These worked great to hold all the panels in place, just since I only have 4 of them I had to wait for each section to dry before moving on to the next.
Once the panels are up I filled in the gaps around each panel using the same door and window foam to seal things up nicely.
The hardest part was simply cutting out the panels and fitting them, which really wasn’t that hard. All in all a fairly painless process if you have the right tools.
Above the front headliner / storage cubby, I installed 3m Thinsulate bat to quiet down and insulate that area. I slid it in above the factory roof panel down as far forward as I could get it. You just have to unclip the body panel plugs (Christmas trees) then replace them when you are done. I’m also going to use Thinsulate in the side and rear door panels and pull some through the roof and sidewall ribs after the wiring is run.
I used a wire fish tape to pull a string into the ribs, then tied onto the strips of Thinsulate and pulled them into the ribs. I did the same for the horizontal ribs at the top of the walls.
Added some thin foam to insulate between the metal ribs and the ceiling panels. Bit of a thermal break.